|Walter Cope of Drumilly was an 18th century Anglican bishop in Ireland. Previously Dean of Dromore, he was nominated to be Bishop of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh (NW Ireland)in 1772 and translated to Ferns and Leighlin(SE Ireland) in1782 considered by some as a “political” move. His Bishop’s seat was at Drumilly House. He died in post on 31 July 1787 at the age of 85.
It is reported that, when a curate, he was known far and wide as “the proud curate” because he sported a coach and four splendid black horses.
The listed building database describes this memorial as ‘The most architecturally interesting memorial is a freestanding tomb with scrolling pediments, pilasters with laurel wreaths and down-turned torches, standing on a podium enclosed by plain iron railings: commemorates members of the Cope family of Drumilly including the Reverend Dr Walter Cope who died in 1787’.