This is a particularly ornate example of an early Victorian gatescreen in a neo-Jacobean style, which retains almost all its original features and combines with its associated twin gate lodges to form the entrance to what was once an important country house demesne. They appear, for the first time, on the Ordinance Survey map of 1860. Built in 1842 for the Cope family, the gates were manufactured by R. Marshall of Caledon. Originally there was an ornate overthrow linking the two central piers but it was accidentally toppled by a lorry in the 1960s and has not been reinstated. In 1901 a gatekeeper and a laundress lived in the lodges. At that time, laundry for the ‘big house’ was done behind the gatelodge on the right. Locals still remember the laundry hanging out to dry. One village resident, who is almost 90, recalls how his father signed an elderly lady out of the workhouse in the 1920s. He had secured one of the gate lodges from Mrs Cope for her to live in. His memory of her is that she always looked ‘black as soot’. The gates and lodges were bought along with the rest of the Manor House estate in 1947 by the Ministry of Agriculture.