Unfortunately the cannon is no longer on this gun stand but the current owner of the site, who lives next door, replaces it with a magnificent award winning show of bloom each summer. The cannon had been captured from the enemies during the First World War and had been placed there as a trophy in 1919/20. Understandably there was some opposition from those who felt it was inappropriate to display a weapon of war that had been responsible for the deaths of so many allied soldiers. Consequently many were happy for the gun to be taken away for the war effort around 1942. In this rare photograph, taken around 1931, the little girl sitting precariously on the old canon was Veida Halligan who, in 2013, still lives in the village.