The village of Loughgall is situated in the heart of County Armagh’s apple growing countryside and adjacent to the lake from which its name is derived. It is renowned for its attractive and pristine appearance which has won it many awards over the years. Indeed for a settlement of its size, just one long street, it has an impressively high proportion of fine buildings from both the Georgian and Regency periods. Over 20 of these buildings are officially listed by the NI Environment Agency as buildings of special architectural or historic interest. Although it is often thought of as a Plantation Village, Loughgall actually has a much longer history. The Christian heritage of the village dates back to the Culdees who were originally members of Christian monastic communities of Ireland, Scotland and England in the Middle Ages. There is considerable archeological evidence of an even earlier settlement. W. Reeves, the church historian, accepts that there was a church already established here in 1054. In 1611 Sir Anthony Cope of Hanwell, Oxfordshire, purchased the Manor of Loughgall comprising some 3,000 acres.